Friday, November 8, 2013

Easiest Ever Oreo Truffles




I had these little delights for the first time years ago at a party.   A friend mentioned she had brought these three ingredient Oreo truffles and that they were absolutely addictive.  Like crack, but you know, more caloric….and a bit more socially acceptable.  I can be a bit of a food snob, so I wanted to be cynical but I had had a couple of drinks, so in all honesty, she had me at Oreo.   Anyway, several years later, they are still one of my go-to party foods.  I think it is humanly impossible not to like these little 2 bite delights.   Plus, did I mention that they’re three ingredients?  Or four?  Or five possibly depending on how fancy you want to get?  But, who’s counting when they’re this good! 

Seriously though, they are three ingredients.  The only other things to buy would be sprinkles or some other nonsense with which to decorate them.  I really think that’s gilding the lily to be honest, but to each his own.  They do look awfully festive with some red and green sugar crystals perched atop the little spheres of goodness at Christmastime.  You can also expand your ingredient list (ever so slightly) by doing white and dark chocolate coatings.  It makes for a nice platter, but honestly, once your guests taste them, nobody will remember what the platter looked like; it will be completely empty!  

Okay, these are also super easy to make.  Seriously, like REALLY easy.  My nine year old and seven year old made the last batch while I supervised from the next room and focused more on an episode of Housewives and a big glass of “mommy juice” (you might call it wine).  I know, Parent of the Year!  I’m sure my kids had way more fun making these than I would have and they truly are that easy, so here goes.  Get out your shopping list and pen:

1 package of Oreos
1 8oz block of cream cheese
1 bag of chocolate chips

That’s it.  I am not kidding.  I know, right? 

Okay, there are a few recommendations I’ll share.  First, about the Oreos.  No Double stuff, reduced fat (what is that even about anyway?), or flavored.  Go with the classic here and get the regular old original Oreos for the correct creamy filling to chocolate cookie ratio.  When I say a package, I mean the regular size with like three rows and about 18 cookies in each row.  Next, for the cream cheese, please don’t even think about getting fat free or reduced fat or any other such nonsense, because really, why would you?  You’re going to mix these with Oreos for Christ’s sake, so let’s not pretend this is health food.  You need the texture of the original cream cheese for this to work out right.  Lastly, for the chocolate chips, you do have some options.  I prefer the white chocolate, but as I said, you can use milk chocolate or semi-sweet or all three to make a festive platter.  Go wild! 

Here’s how the magic comes together. 

1)   Crush your Oreos.  It’s best to do this in a food processor, but if you don’t have one, don’t sweat it.  You can go old school with a large Ziploc bag and a rolling pin (or if you’re me, an empty wine bottle).  If you do use the food processor, it’s best to do these in three separate smaller batches so they turn into fine crumbs.  You want to really crush the heck out of these Oreos so you end up with a mound of tiny cookie crumbs.  The creamy filling that started out in the cookies, now coats the crumbs and makes them a little sweet and helps them to stick together.  Dump them into a bowl, and …
2)   Add the cream cheese.  Bet you didn’t see that coming, huh?  See, so simple. You just mix the cream cheese with the sticky cookie crumbs until everything comes together in one large ball.  I like to use my hands, because that’s how I roll, but you can use a spatula if you prefer.  The mixture will be really dark and nearly irresistible at this point, but try to contain yourself.
3)   Roll the Oreo and cream cheese goodness into little balls. Use a small spoon to chunk off tablespoon (or smaller) sized bits and roll these between your hands into small balls (smaller than golf balls).  Place these on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper.  When you’re done, try not to lick your hands.  Right! Then, put the cookie sheet in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes to chill.  Wash up – especially your face; you probably have cookie crumbs all around your mouth by now.
4)   Dip the balls into the melted chocolate.  First, melt the chocolate in the microwave at 70% power, being sure not to overdo it.  Take it out every 20 seconds or so and stir.  Once it is melted, dip each ball into the chocolate and use a skewer to hold the truffle.  A second skewer or small spoon is handy for getting off any excess chocolate coating.  I like to do some white chocolate and some dark, so I do the white first, and then re-chill the remaining truffle balls, while I’m washing up and melting the dark chocolate.  You can allow these to cool in mini muffin cups (putting them in a mini muffin tin really helps them hold their shape), or you can just do it on waxed paper.  Either way, once you’re done dipping, put the whole thing back in the fridge until you are ready to serve, or at least long enough to thoroughly set and chill. 

If you want to use sprinkles, or colored sugar or something like that to decorate the truffles, do that while the chocolate coating is still warm so it will stick.  These look great just plain, but they are gorgeous when spruced up a bit (especially the white ones). 



Try to show some willpower, and save some for the party.  Because of the cream cheese, these need to be stored in the fridge, but will stay fresh for at least a week after they’re made.  As if!  Personally, I’ve never seen any make it past the 24 hour mark, but maybe you’ll fare better than I did!  Enjoy!   

No comments:

Post a Comment